she's losing it!

May 14, 2006

The End of an Era

I don't know where to start. These past months have been sick, insane and extremely intense. Even when I haven't been studying, there has constantly been something I could or should be doing. Like, a World Lit essay, a Written Task, a project here, an Extended Essay there. Even if I had done all of my internally assessed stuff, the notion of exams would always be hanging over my head and pounding me in the eyes with a sledgehammer (I've managed to develop an extremely strong defence mechanism for these situations; denial).

With only one subject left, the easiest, I feel such a relief. I'm not quite sure I've understood it yet - this idea of me not having anything to do. I've gotten accommodated to the constant stream of tasks that IS the International Baccalaureate Programme, and I believe I have learnt to like it. Despite the parties and other social gatherings (not very many - I know how to prioritoze) that I've had to miss in favor of my school work, I do not regret choosing this. However, the last couple of weeks have sort of awaken the thought in me - what if I would have chosen an easier program, and aced all of my classes? I don't think I'm taking that seriously, though. I do not regret choosing the IB. Despite the approximately 100 sleepless nights, despite the increase in heart rate that one might experience if not doing anything school-related for a while. Kajsa spent the night here, and we couldn't stop talking about the fact that we didn't have to do anything today. We didn't have to read any papers, or any books, or meet with anyone at the library for a stupid project. It's sick.

The last couple of times that Kajsa has spent the night here, we've always woken up around 7 or 8 (which is pretty early, considering the fact that we probably went to bed around 4) , feeling that we should be studying. We'e woken up, and before even looking at the clock, we'd feel our hearts starting to beat extra quickly, and we'd realize that we have to do a bunch of boring things that day. Things that are not suited for two hungover teenaged brains. This did not happen this morning. This little aspect is such a huge change in our lives, I can't even start to tell you. And yes, I realize that I'm not entirely done yet, but technially, I don't have to move my ass from this chair for about a week. What a pretty thought.

The secondary emotion resulting from the end of this era is a feeling of loss. Not that I miss it all; or maybe I do. I hate people who get nostalgic over things even before they've ended, so I don't want to be like that. However, the IB has been my life for almost three years now, and it's diffcult to go. It's like a relationship that goes bad after three years and you have to break up (tell me when I sound pathetic) - even though it sucked, you kind of miss it. Out of habit.

Okay, so: I refuse to miss this now. I'm moving on to bigger and better things, such as a kick-ass job at camp this summer. Yeah! I got the job, even though I didn't make it at first, but was assigned some kind of reserve place. Now I'm going to work in Barnens By (The Children's Village) with a bunch of great people and about 1000 different kids. I'm not going to work with all of them, no. Spoke to an old friend from there today and got so excited about the job, because it really is great. It pays like 25-30.00 for seven weeks of work. That's good. For me.

Also, ahead of me is the wildest party period of my life so far. This is what the schedule looks lke right now:

  • This Friday: The Carneval in Lund - a bunch of college students get drunk on cheap beer and will hit on me because I'm jailbait
  • Next Tuesday: The very last exam takes place, and apart from the... pardon me... "Book-returning party" we're having in the cafeteria at school with all of our teachers, the IB class of 2006 is having a wild party in the park at about 5 or 6 PM. Be there, or be square. We're going to be both, honoring our reputation as nerds.
  • Next Thursday: Joey, Jompa, Kajsa, Martyna, Rasmus and I leave for Berlin. Can we say electro, techno and cheap booze? And indie people? And retro decorating? And culture? And trendyness? Yes, we can. ALSO: Martin comes home! Celebrate good times, come on!
  • May 30 (I think): The class of 2006 has their "Utsparkslekar" (i.e. "kick-out games") in beforementioned park. Think baseball, beer, flour and eggs. Don't wear your prettiest clothes.
  • June 6: Lecille, Ylva and I are meeting up at 6.06 AM to celebrate the Swedish national holiday. And the number of the beast. 06.06.06 at 06.06 AM. See the pattern? The plan is to get drunk. I've never been freshly drunk at that hour, and I stand firm in my belief that there's a first for everything.
  • June 7: GRADUATION DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • June 8: Lecille's graduation! I'm going to their school disco-thing. The rival school. We're so Hogwarts.
  • June 9: Milana's graduation!
  • June 10: School's officially out! Everyone goes to church and gets money, if they have good grades. Also, Kajsa's huge party pt 1.
  • June 11: Kajsa's huge party pt 2.
  • June 13: Ylva's graduation! (I think.)
  • June 17: My birthday!
Okay, so, you get the point. Parties ahoy. Oh. My poor liver.

Yesterday was spent at Jompa's, and then a pathetic night club. Never going there again, not even if I get paid. Spent all of my boozing money at McDonald's, because I'd gotten drunk enough at Jompa's. Don't I just sound like a true lady? Getting drunk off of other people's booze. Getting drunk period. Never mind - I had like 35 kr. Wouldn't have gotten very drunk anyway *sad face*. And I owe Lecille 14 kr and my eternal love.

Tomorrow's shopping for graduation sweater, graduation necklace and graduation panties day. Yeah, graduation panties; you heard me. If, and only if, you've managaed to read through my blog-o-rrhea to this point, I promise to send you a picture of them.

And remember - a true lady always sticks to her promises.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All sayeth YAY to the first emotion! Good work, girl!

15:28

 
Blogger Natalie said...

thanks, mate! :D

19:42

 
Blogger Josefin said...

the church thingy is actually june 16, sommarlov is to be moved one week.
apart from that i'm trembling at the thought of us becoming you, if you know what i mean. i'm not sure that there actually is a life beyond the ib...

19:58

 
Blogger Jasmin said...

herrejävlar vad sjukt. jag läste hela inlägget. men det var inte det som var sjukt, utan ja... allt. jag fattar inte. i mitt huvud tar jag också studenten nu tror jag men jag har ett helt jävla år av allt det där du beskrev kvar. alltså. jag vet inte om jag vill leva eller dö, dö - leva? dö? jag vill iallafall se dina graduation panties myh oh my

20:30

 
Blogger Natalie said...

josefin: don't tremble! i know that you and your entire class is going to be just fine. you're all very ambitious. my only tip is to avoid msn and the internet. it will make things easier...

jazz: du vill absolut leva! det är en upplevelse som jag aldrig kommer glömma (pardon my cheesyness), och någon sorts mognadsprocess och blablabla. du vill, tro mig. och det är underbart när det är över. fast... det var inte så farligt, inte ens mitt i. det är ganska mysigt. och graduation panties ska du få se! min kjol flyger upp när jag snurrar a la 1950. so cool.

23:06

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home